I finished reading ‘Motherhood Is a
Beach B#tch’ by Lyss Stern last week. Amusing, empowering, sarcastic yet helpful; this is a great book for all Mommies, harried or otherwise.
And before the ‘B#tch’ word turns you off: it’s an ACRONYM!!!! The entire premise of the book, is that the B-word should stand for ‘Being In Total Control of Herself!” And the author proceeds to show you just that.
The steps to achieve this state are also outlined in the same acronym:
Be the Woman you want
Time-out : for yourself
Care : self-care included
Help- Ask for it
With chapters devoted to all sorts of departments of life and motherhood, this book has ideas to make life easier, stories to inspire, and a narrative to tickle that funny bone, Case in point:
- One of the early chapters is about how to deal with disappointments.
- It has techniques to get organized.
- There are strategies to eating well with recipes including smoothies. No time to eat? This common side effect of motherhood is countered by a list of ‘no-cook, long shelf-life, easy-to-grab snacks!
- She lists exercises that only need a few minutes and zero to furniture-turned-gym equipment. If you need proof, Google the author’s images!
- The book also devotes a significant portion to communication techniques, including training your kids, saying no and (the best, according to your truly!) tactful answers to annoying questions and sticky situations. [yup, has answers to mothers and MILs too! :P]
- I also got inspired by the quick tips for maintenance and sprucing up: home tidiness and hair and makeup.
What I loved most about the book was the pace and narrative: so amusing while still being real and concise!